Saturday, April 30, 2016

Amaranth Saison Brewday

Apparently, amaranth is more of a brewing oddity than I thought. When I went looking for ideas, I found the recipe from Ryan Brews in 2011 and mention of the soon to be released Saison Z from Jolly Pumpkin. And that was pretty much it. I didn’t release amaranth was such a brewing rarity. Anyway, I toasted the amaranth at 225° F for about 45 minutes before mashing it; I chose toasting over boiling since I am more interested in the flavor amaranth imparts in the beer than making the starches fermentable. I would have used more (a pound would have been nice), but this is all I harvested last year from the back yard. Yes, this is home grown amaranth. Making this yard saison number two.

228. Amaranth Saison 
Mash:
4 lbs. Best Malz Pilsen
2 lbs. Best Malz Wheat
½ lb. Acidulated 
¼ lb. Amaranth

Mash @ 150° F for 70 minutes w/ 3 gallons RO water, 4 g. gypsum, and 2 g. CaCl; collected 2 gallons @ 1.054
Batch sparge @ 165° F for 20 minutes w/ 4 gallons RO water; collected 4 gallons @ 1.014

Topped off to 7 gallons, brought to a boil (70 minutes), & added:
w/60 to go: ½ Comet pellet 8.6% AA
½ oz. Azacca leaf 9.9% AA

w/10 to go: ½ Comet pellet 8.6% AA
½ oz. Azacca leaf 9.9% AA

w/0 to go: ½ Comet pellet 8.6% AA
½ oz. Azacca leaf 9.9% AA

Let stand for 20 minutes, chilled, & racked on to Wyeast 3276 yeast cake from 227. Table Saison w/ Dandelion Flowers

Brewed: 4/30/2016 @ 66° F
Secondary: 
Bottle: 

OG: 1.032
FG:

Tasting Notes: 

No comments:

Post a Comment