Monday, July 6, 2009

6. Great Divide Denver Pale Ale (DPA)

“The D stands for deliciousness.”

Great Divide Brewing Company in ­­­Denver, CO are the creators of this delicious and refreshing pale ale. I’m not sure exactly when it happened, but somewhere along the line GDBC reinvented themselves and their beer—either that, or I finally developed a palate to appreciate their offerings. For years I had been skeptical about their beer, as everything I recalled trying left me uninspired to experiment further. So I shied away from them pretty regularly. That was until I tried last year’s Fresh Hop, which I inadvertently picked up when purchasing all of the various fresh hop offerings of the Fall. I was impressed enough with that one to try a couple of their other beers, which then led to try pretty much the rest of their offerings; needless to say, my opinion of GDBC has radically changed. Whether my fortuitous rediscovery points to previous misconceptions on my part or a change in the brewing process on theirs, I’m glad luck led me to stuff a bottle of their beer into my cart as I hurriedly made my selections—it’s been nothing but pleasant drinking ever since, and I always look forward to anything new from them.

DPA has a delicious bready nose, reminiscent of Brooklyn’s Pennant Ale, with a pale amber color and a full, smooth mouthfeel. The smooth gentle front of the beer rolls into a bready and biscuity middle, followed by a crisp hop finish. Balanced profile across the board; hop profile subdued but present, and balanced. “Some” could say it is underhopped, but they’d be ignorant tools. And/or my significant other. But thems fightin’ words, and I’m already certain that I’m gonna pay for the scare quotes around some.

From GDBC’s website: “DPA is a world-renowned, classic pale ale with a malty middle and an equally hearty complement of hop aroma, flavor and bitterness.”

Someone’s website is a little too “interactive.” Flashy, but less information.

ABV: 5.4%

(7/6/2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment